Your feet or ankles can become painful or swollen because you are on your feet, either walking or standing for extended periods of time.
Feet and ankles that stay swollen and are accompanied by other symptoms, particularly for no apparent reason, could mean that you have a serious health issue.
What does Ankle Pain Refer To
Any pain or discomfort that you may experience in your ankles, whether caused by an injury, sprain, or medical condition such as arthritis, falls under the category of ankle pain.
You can have unstable ankles prone to sprains, ankles that become painful as you get older because of arthritis, or ankle pain because of an overpronated (flat foot).
The Main Causes of Ankle Pain
- Sprains or injuries caused by everyday activities or sports.
- Medical conditions such as Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, and Gout.
- Nerve damage or an injury such as sciatica.
- Blocked blood vessels in your ankles.
- Infection in your ankle joints.
How to Protect Your Ankles and Relieve Ankle Pain
Skip High Heels
When you walk on spiked high heels, you have very little stability on your feet, and you are much more likely to roll your ankle because of the narrow heel and shape of the shoe.
Rather opt for a shoe with a wide, low, or flared heel or a lateral post shoe like a sneaker or hiking boots. A wider and flatter shoe is always a better option for painful ankles.
Do not Wear Flats
Most people who get arthritis in their ankles begin with a deformity known as pronation, which is the inward rolling toward the arch of the foot and ankle causing ankle pain.
Flat shoes do not provide any arch support, and there is nothing to resist the painful movement when you have pronation. Most sandals and flip flops tend to be flat and provide minimal arch or ankle support.
So rather stick to an enclosed lace-up shoe with a heel no higher than one and a half inches.
Orthotics and Shoe Modifications
Shoe inserts and insoles will provide you with the required cushioning and shock absorption, as well as keep your ankles from rolling to prevent ankle problems.
Modifying your shoe, such as adding heel inserts, will also help take the stress off your lateral ligaments.
Towel crunches and resistance band exercises will help to strengthen your ankles.
Exercising your feet muscles will also help to strengthen your foot muscles, which will, in turn, help to support your ankle joints.
The Right Sports
Avoid high-impact sports and sports that require cutting movements from side to side, such as; basketball, tennis, running, soccer, and benign golf.
An uneven surface is also very unhealthy for your ankles. Low impact sports such as swimming and biking are much safer when you have painful ankles.
Gaining excessive weight can add pressure to your joints, causing ankle pain and, eventually, arthritis.
Try to maintain a healthy weight at all times.
Reviews: Best Shoes for Ankle Pain
Below is a list of the Top Shoes for ankle support that you should consider;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
Just so you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Running Shoes for Ankle Pain
- The uppers are fabric and synthetic.
- Rubber sole for good grip.
- A futuristic runner with ombre fade and a lace keeper overlay.
- All-new FRESH foam midsole for arch support.
- The combination bootie structure with engineered mesh ensures excellent support and breathability.
- The sock liners (Insoles) are Ortholite, and they provide extra protection to your foot in the shoe.
- Data-Driven midsole and outsole.
- This shoe is available in a variety of colorful designs.
Normal to High Arched Feet with Ankle Pain
- This Nimbus model2 is lightweight and extremely durable.
- Fluidride technology gives you a combination of bounce back and cushioning in this.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel cushioning systems to attenuate shock during impact and toe-off as well as allowing for movement on multiple planes.
- The FluidFit upper technology combines multi-directional stretch mesh with stretch reinforcements, which will adapt to your feet, creating a glove-like, customized fit, which in turn reduces pressure on your ankles.
- The heel clutching system gives you improved support and better heel fitting.
Ankle Support Shoes
- Breathable mesh uppers.
- A sturdy rubber sole.
- Rocker technology and excellent cushioning for comfort and support.
- A versatile running shoe for on and off-road use.
- The upper frame is made from comfortable Lycra.
- An oversized midsole with 2.5 times more volume than standard running shoes.
Stylish Ankle Support Boot
- Manufactured from good quality leather.
- A durable synthetic sole.
- The shaft measures 11 inches from the arch.
- A 1.5-inch heel and 0.5-inch platform.
- It offers a snug and comfortable fit for everyday wear.
- Available in Black and Rust.
Dress Shoes with Ankle Support
- Manufactured from high-quality leather.
- A durable synthetic sole.
- The heel measures up to 1.5 inches.
- This is a Yoga-inspired flat with a dual-textured upper and scalloped instep.
- Soft padded collar for a snug, comfortable fit.
- An adjustable Mary Jane straps for a perfect fit.
- The Naot Matai Mary Jane is available in a large variety of colors and designs.
- A more feminine and stylish shoe for everyday wear and great comfort.
GORE-TEX Pro Hiking Boots
- Constructed from the finest quality leather.
- Durable Vibram EVO traction outsole.
- A leather hiking boot with a mid-rise silhouette and D-Ring lacing.
- Gore-Tex moisture-wicking lining to keep your feet dry and fresh.
- A climate control comfortable footbed.
- The Monowrap frame in the midsole helps to give your foot the support it needs.
Ankle Support Walking Shoes
- The Orthoheel technology, along with the EVA midsole and the anti-bacterial orthotic insole, will provide shock absorbency and cushioned support as well as reduce strain on your feet and ankles.
- The flexible rubber outsole also acts as a shock absorber and provides an excellent grip.
- A breathable mesh liner and sock liner ensure your feet are kept dry and comfortable.
- Available in six colors.
- This comfortable walking shoe is best for women working in a more casual environment.
Ankle Supportive Boot
- There is a soft and cushioned removable foot bed.
- Durable and slip resistant, rubber outsole.
- Comfortable soft and supple leather uppers.
- Available in three neutral colors for your own personal preference.
- The Propet Blizzard has a slip-on style with a top front zipper closure and a cushioned collar for heel stability.
Ankle Pain Cowboy Boots
- Genuine and durable leather uppers in a stunning Cowboy style design.
- A Narrow toe and slight heel for extra support and stability.
- A cushioned comfortable footbed and comfortable fitting design.
- Available in a few rustic color options to choose from.
Heel Pain Orthopedic Shoe
- Ortho-Cushioning system for luxurious comfort and support.
- A protective ankle strap and a soft collar to protect your ankles and keep them comfortable.
- Non-Binding and extra depth design for painful foot conditions.
- Adjustable strap for a secure and snug fit.
- Soft and breathable leather and mesh uppers.
- The Sprint has a secure lace-up system for closure.
Ankle Pain Walking Shoe
- Lightweight and flexible mesh uppers that are very breathable.
- A cushioned Goga Mat and 5gen Insole and footbed.
- Durable high traction rubber outsole.
- Soft fabric interior linings that wick away moisture.
- Available in a few color options.
Shoes for Ankle Pain
- Both boots have soft and comfortable leather uppers.
- The Clarks boot has stretch gore panels for easy on and off and consists of supple and genuine leather.
- The LifeStride Kam ankle boot for the ladies has fabric-feel uppers with attached heel and flexible outsole.
- Both have a comfortable padded insole.
- Available in two neutral color options.
Shoes for Ankle Pain
- The Skechers Segment Melego for the gents are comfortable genuine leather and Waterproof ankle boots, With a lace-up design and padded collar.
- The Sillian from Clarks for the ladies is made from genuine leather and a Cushion soft Clopudstepper cushioning technology, as well as an Orthoite footbed that manages moisture.
- Ankle boot design for better ankle stability and protection.
Plantar Fasciitis Shoes
- A lace-up style Oxford for the Gents and adjustable strap Mary Jane flat for the ladies.
- Both have an extra depth and non-binding design available in wider widths.
- Ample cushioning and shock absorbing technology.
- Secure heel grip and design that reduces ankle pain and protects your ankles.
- A durable and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Also available in different width optiosn for the perfect fit.
Index Table: Best Shoes for Ankle Support
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||New Balance® - Running Shoes for Ankle Pain||M1080v10||W1080v10||New Balance||97.8|
|2||Asics® - Normal to High Arched Feet with Ankle Pain||Gel Nimbus 22||Gel Nimbus 22||Asics||97|
|3||Hoka One® - Ankle Support Shoes||Bondi 7||Bondi 7||Hoka One||95|
|4||Clarks® - Stylish Ankle Support Boot||Vanek||Maymie||Clarks||95|
|5||Naot® - Dress Shoes with Ankle Support||Chief||Matai||Naot||95|
|6||Lowa® - GORE-TEX Pro Hiking Boots||Renegade||Renegade||Lowa||98|
|7||Vionic Orthaheel® - Ankle Support Walking Shoes||Walker||Walker||Vionic Orthaheel||94|
|8||Propet® - Ankle Supportive Boot||Blizzard||Delaney||Propet||97|
|9||Dingo® - Ankle Pain Cowboy Boots||DI5110||Adobe||Dingo||96|
|10||Orthofeet® - Heel Pain Orthopedic Shoe||Sprint||Sanibel||Orthofeet||98|
|11||Skechers Go Walk® - Ankle Pain Walking Shoe||Evolution||Joy||Skechers Go Walk||98|
|12||Clarks® - Shoes for Ankle Pain||Bushacre||Kam||Clarks||97|
|13||Skechers® - Shoes for Ankle Pain||Melego||Sillian Sway||Skechers||96|
|14||Orthofeet® - Plantar Fasciitis Shoes||Avery Island||Chickasaw||Orthofeet||98|
The above picks are all great choices for painful ankles and arthritis.
The best, however, is to stick to a lace-up shoe that has a slightly higher shaft to keep your ankle firmly in place. Keep to a lower heel and stay clear of thinner and flatter heels when you have ankle pain.
Table of Contents
- What does Ankle Pain Refer To
- The Main Causes of Ankle Pain
- How to Protect Your Ankles and Relieve Ankle Pain
- Reviews: Best Shoes for Ankle Pain
- Running Shoes for Ankle Pain
- Normal to High Arched Feet with Ankle Pain
- Ankle Support Shoes
- Stylish Ankle Support Boot
- Dress Shoes with Ankle Support
- GORE-TEX Pro Hiking Boots
- Ankle Support Walking Shoes
- Ankle Supportive Boot
- Ankle Pain Cowboy Boots
- Heel Pain Orthopedic Shoe
- Ankle Pain Walking Shoe
- Shoes for Ankle Pain
- Shoes for Ankle Pain
- Plantar Fasciitis Shoes
- Index Table: Best Shoes for Ankle Support