People who are overweight or bigger tend to put much more strain on their feet, ankles, knees hips, and lower back, causing pain and discomfort in these areas and with time possibly damage or lead to a series of foot conditions.
People who are overweight also tend to opt for slip-on shoes, which are easy to put on because most of them struggle to reach their feet.
Obesity and its Effects on Your Feet
The main concern with overweight people is the damage that is done to the arch of the foot, which has to carry the additional load. When there is excessive weight forced on the feet, the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that hold up the arches weaken and become stretched out.
If not well treated, these structures in the feet will result in allowing the bones and joints of the feet to shift and collapse, causing pain in the arches and flattening of the entire foot as well as ankle, hip, shin knee, and lower back pain.
Therefore it is critical to wear shoes that offer good support, and it is advisable for your health and the health of your feet to try and lose weight by doing some exercise and following a healthy and balanced diet.
Walking to Lose Weight
Walking is an excellent method not only to lose weight but improve your fitness and stamina and become more healthy. Walking is a cardio exercise that is easy and less intensive to start with for and overweight person.
Walking will burn calories and improve your overall well-being. Make sure to get an appropriate pair of walking shoes before you start walking because you do not want to risk an injury or have painful feet at the end of the day.
Because of your weight, you will need an extra supportive shoe with a good fit.
The Anatomy of Shoes for Heavy Walkers
- Uppers – Because overweight individuals are more likely to have a wider and more full foot type, I would recommend shoes with a wider or more flexible toe box and upper design. Materials such as mesh and synthetic leather are supple and flexible and offer good ventilation.
Cushioning – In shoes for overweight individuals, CUSHIONING is one of your most desired traits as this is what will prevent impact on your lower limbs that can cause pain and injuries. So always look for cushioning, which can be foam, memory foam, air foam, or even Gel. Heel cushioning is another excellent characteristic as heel pain is more likely in overweight persons.
Outsole – Rubber is usually the best choice in an outsole as it offers excellent traction, slip resistance, and shock absorbency. Look for a thicker design rubber outsole with a foam or EVA midsole for shock absorbency, and a patterned tread or lug sole for better grip.
Stability – When you are overweight, you may not be as stable on your feet, or you may struggle with motion performance or excessive pronation. A sound stability system such as a Trusstic Guidance System, or DuoMax support system can help with This.
Breathability – Breathable and moisture-wicking materials and linings help to keep your feet dry and cool and prevent them from becoming overheated and sweaty.
Arch Support – Many people who are overweight have a flat or fallen arch called flat feet, because of the lack of arch support naturally you will need to look for good arch support in your shoes if you have flat feet.
Reviews: Best Walking Shoes for Overweight Women
We have scoured all the available footwear and chosen only the best walking shoes with unique features to accommodate heavier walkers;
You can depend on the New Balance WW928 for a comfortable and effortless walking experience.
- Soft and durable uppers with a breathable mesh lining to keep your feet dry and protected.
- The Thick heel wedge ensures a stable base for your feet.
- Thermoplastic urethane posting mechanics help to control excessive rearfoot movement.
- The rubber outsole provides excellent grip and traction.
- A special foam insole helps to distribute weight and reduce shock on the feet.
The Orthaheel Walking Shoe will provide you with comfort and reduce shock on the feet; it is also an ideal choice for women suffering from Plantar Fasciitis.
- A shock-absorbing and comfortable EVA midsole.
- The rubber sole is durable, absorbs shock and offers excellent grip and traction.
- Full-grain leather and mesh uppers with a sock liner for added comfort and protection.
- Available in wider sizes to accommodate a wider or swollen foot.
- A good choice for Plantar Fasciitis.
For the best stability and cushioned comfort, you should try the Asics Gel Cumulus 20.
- and Forefoot Gel cushioning systems to attenuate shock during impact and toe-off phases.
- Allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- With 8mm from the heel to toe cushioning, you have better balance, comfort, and control.
- Improved midsole geometry and the sleek new seamless construction provides even more comfort.
- Durable and comfortable uppers with seamless construction.
For a lightweight and breathable walking shoe, the Reebok Work n Cushion is your best bet with added comfort and
- The rubber outsole is oil and slip-resistant and allows for a more controlled and balanced movement.
- The lightweight synthetic mesh uppers keep your feet dry and fresh.
- Available in different widths to accommodate every foot size and type.
- A durable shoe that is well cushioned and comfortable.
One of the best choices in walking shoes; the new Balance W1540V2 offers exceptional cushioning and arch support as well as helping with pronation.
- The Abzorb cushioning system absorbs shock and provides luxurious comfort.
- The posting system provides excellent motion control capabilities.
- An endurance rubber outsole gives the best traction and grip.
- A polyurethane foam insert provides even more comfort and support.
- The best arch support and pronation control.
- A running and walking shoe that comes in very wide widths – up to 4E.
The Saucony ProGrid Integrity ST2 is a walking shoe that will provide exceptional support and has a more flexible fit to accommodate a wider foot and more weight.
- A cushioned forefoot and rearfoot with Strobel board to reduce the impact on the feet.
- The ProGrid Reson technology heel absorbs shock and improves the gait cycle.
- The compression-molded EVA midsole can handle quite a bit of weight while still keeping you comfortable.
- An XXTM outsole that is durable and provides excellent grip and traction to prevent slips.
- Breathable and flexible leather uppers ensure an excellent and well-ventilated fit.
- This is one of the Best Shock Absorbing Walking Shoes as well.
A comfortable and sleek designed Flip Flop sandal with extra cushioning and support for the larger woman.
- Soft Nubuck leather uppers are available in three neutral color options and light.
- Available in wider widths and larger sizes.
- A comfortable and supportive cushioned footbed,
- Ideal for heel pain and other foot conditions.
- A dual-density lightweight cushioned midsole.
The Skechers work sneaker is highly breathable and lightweight, as well as available in larger sizes and widths.
- Soft and flexible mesh uppers for superb breathability and comfort.
- A shock-absorbing midsole and cushioned insole, for comfort and support.
- A thick, durable, and high traction rubber outsole.
- Available in larger size and wider widths, for overweight women.
- Two design options are available both in black color.
An easy slide on and off sandal without having to use your hands, and with a supportive and comfortable design.
- Leather uppers straps and easy slide-on design.
- A synthetic thick and durable outsole.
- Cushioned removable footbed, for using your won orthotics.
- Adjustable hook and loop straps for the most comfortable fit.
A comfortable Orthopedics shoe for the overweight women that need extra support and comfort for painful feet or foot conditions.
- A thick shock-absorbing and high traction rubber outsole.
- Available in larger sizes and wider widths.
- Non-binding seamless design with an adjustable Velcro strap.
- Cushioned from heel toe to for complete comfort.
The Brooks Addiction Walker is a comfortable and casual all-day wear walking shoe that is ideal for individuals who are overweight.
- Features an ASTM F 489-96 standard rated HPR-Green outsole is durable, slip-resistant, and ensures premium wet-dry traction for skid resistance on all floor surfaces.
- Comfortable and durable leather and synthetic uppers with a smooth moisture-wicking interior lining.
- A Progressive Diagonal Rollbar for better motion control and stability.
- The durable and comfortable energy efficient Cushsole offers a more flexible cushioned insole for more support and shock absorbency,
- Shock absorbing full-length midsole.
- Available in a black or white color choice.
The Asics Gel Kayano 25 is a superb choice for better support when you are heavy on your feet.
- Lightweight and breathable reflective uppers for high visibility and better flexibility.
- There are Vertical flex grooves along the line of progression to improve the gait cycle.
- The ComforDry sock liner with higher has higher rebound properties and manages moisture effectively.
- A dynamic DuoMax support system reduces weight and increases the platform support for better stability, especially for heavy individuals.
- A durable outsole offers superb traction on multiple surface areas.
The Skechers Gladden for women is a casual and comfortable walking shoe that is ideal for overweight individuals.
- The uppers are soft, flexible, and very breathable with lightweight construction.
- There is a secure heel collar and additional cushioning in the heel area.
- A dual-density stability outsole from durable high traction rubber.
- Comfortable cushioned insole with smooth moisture-wicking interior linings.
The Cascade Sandal for women from Drew Shoes offers ample cushioning and support to handle heavier weight.
- Soft leather uppers with adjustable straps.
- Available in wider width options as well as extended sizes for large women.
- Shock-absorbing EVA midsole with a thick and slip-resistant rubber outsole with a lug tread.
- Well-cushioned and supportive design with a moisture-wicking footbed.
- Some color selections are available.
The D’Lites range from Skechers has a wider toe box and heavy-duty design with a flatform sole, which is ideal for heavier women.
- Available in leather and synthetic upper options with a color selection for your preference.
- A thick flatform style rubber outsole and midsole for shock absorbency.
- Memory foam cushioned insole and a padded tongue and collar for comfort.
- Lace-up design for an adjustable and secure fit.
The Asics Gel Excite is a plush cushioned athletic shoe with a flexible design idea for feet on heavier women.
- Soft and flexible fabric uppers.
- Durable and thick rubber outsole.
- Rearfoot Gel cushioning for shock absorbency and comfort.
- Supportive and comfortable Ortholite sockliner that also manages moisture.
- The AMPLIFoam Midsole ensure lightweight shock absorbency and a secure platform.
An energizing walking and running shoe from Reebok ideal for Overweight women.
- The uppers comprise of breathable and lightweight textile and synthetic materials.
- There are a Floatride Energy Foam cushioning system and a comfortable EVA sock liner for cushioning and support.
- The Flexweave woven textile upper design is resilient and stretches to adapt to your feet.
- An Abrasion-resistant carbon rubber outsole is durable and offers excellent shock absorbency and traction.
- There is additional EVA cushioning in the heel for heel support and impact protection, making it ideal for heel pain.
The Saucony Freedom ISO 2 is the latest model in this range and a great addition as a walking shoe for heavier ladies.
- The uppers consist of lightweight knit fabric with ISOFIT technology which adapts to your feet and movement.
- There is a stream; in support frame and excellent heel fit to prevent slippage.
- Inside, you have a comfortable, removable foam insole and a supportive midsole.
- The outsole is made from durable rubber.
A comfortable and energizing walking shoe for overweight women, from Nike.
- The Uppers are constructed from FlyKint materials for a flexible and breathable fit.
- There is a thick foam-cushioned midsole to absorb shock and a soft cushioned footbed.
- The rubber outsole offers excellent support and traction.
- A comfortable and fashionable shoe for running and walking from Nike.
Index Table: Top-Rated Walking Shoes for Overweight Women
So if you are looking for the best walking or running shoe and you are a bit on the heavy side, you cannot go wrong with any of these choices.
They are all exceptional shoes that provide comfort as well as the best support in a durable and long-lasting shoe. Walking has never been this easy, and you can now concentrate on the road ahead and no longer on the pain and discomfort of your feet.
Table of Contents
- Obesity and its Effects on Your Feet
- Walking to Lose Weight
- The Anatomy of Shoes for Heavy Walkers
- Reviews: Best Walking Shoes for Overweight Women
- New Balance® Women's WW928V3 Endurance Walking Shoe
- Vionic® Women's Walker Classic Walking Shoe
- Asics® Women's Gel Cumulus 20 Heavy Duty Walking Shoe
- Reebok® Women's Work N Cushion Cushioned Work Shoe
- New Balance® Women's W1540v2 Heavyweight Wide Walking & Running Shoe
- Saucony® Women's ProGrid Integrity ST2 Leather Walking Shoe
- Dr. Comfort® Women's Shannon Summer Sandal for Overweight Women
- Skechers® Women's Ghenter-Bronaugh Work Sneakers for Heavier Women
- Propet® Women's June Slide sandal for Overweight Women
- Dr. Comfort® Women's Annie Comfort Orthopedics Shoe
- Brooks® Women's Addiction Walker Walking Shoe for Overweight Women with Flat Feet
- Asics® Women's Gel Kayano 25 Lightweight Walking Shoe for overweight Women
- Skechers® Women's Go Walk Gladden Slip On Overweight Support Walking Shoe
- Drew Shoes® Women's Cascade Overweight Walking Sandal
- Skechers® Women's D’Lites Overweight Walking Shoe
- Asics® Women's Gel-Excite 6 Overweight Walking Shoe
- Reebok® Women's Harmony Road 3 Overweight Walking Shoes
- Saucony® Women's Freedom ISO 2 Overweight Walking Shoes
- Nike® Women's Epic React Flyknit 2 Overweight Walking Shoes
- Index Table: Top-Rated Walking Shoes for Overweight Women