Long-distance walks are not only an excellent exercise for physical fitness and well being but likewise for your mental well being and health.
Long-distance walking with a friend or alone can be an excellent form of recreation and exercise and a great outdoor experience to enhance your health and fitness.
As with any sport or recreational exercise, the right tools for the job are vital, and in this case, we need to look at the right type of shoe for the demands of Long Distance walking.
Demands of Long Distance Walking
Long-distance walking is an outdoor activity that may require walking on uneven surfaces, gravel or hard tar roads, or even concrete surfaces. This, in turn, holds slip risks and has an impact on your feet, knees, ankles, and other joints.
Long-distance walking with a shoe that fits improperly can cause severe chafing and blisters, which can be painful and debilitating.
Another aspect that you need to consider is weather, walking for long distances in itself may cause your feet to overheat and sweat. In scorching weather, this may become excruciating. On the other hand, very cold and wet weather can cause frostbite and leave your feet wet and cold.
Features of a Good Shoe for Long Distance Walking
I would personally concentrate on these five factors
- Fit – You need a secure and snug fit from your shoe that does not squeeze your feet neither slips around, causing irritation and abrasion. A lace-up system or bungee lacing system should provide an adequate and customizable fit, whereas a velcro strap or closure can be just as effective.
- Shock Absorbency – One of the most important factors in a Long Distance walking shoe is shock absorbency. Because of the constant impact on your feet and joints, you need a shoe with technology that supplies the best in shock absorbency and protection against impact.
- Cushioning – Cushioning, in a way, is also a form of absorbing impact and shock; it provides a comfortable surface for your feet that is soft and supportive so that you do not feel the hard impact of walking or the surface that you are walking on.
- Breathability and Moisture Wicking – I would say that these two go hand in hand with any good walking shoe in general. You want your feet to stay dry and moisture-free; therefore, a moisture-wicking lining and breathable design can aid in providing ventilation and wicking away sweat and moisture.
- Outsole – A thick and durable outsole not only ensures long lasting durability, but also has its input in providing shock absorbency. Along with that, you need to decide on a tread that is right for the surface you are walking on. For a concrete or tar surface, a normal patterned tread that provides good traction is acceptable. Whereas for uneven turf and off-road nature walking or hiking, you will need a trail walking tread that is more lug and protective against slipping on wet or uneven surfaces.
Some Excellent Features of a Long Distance Walking Shoe
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL cushioning.
- SPEVA Midsole.
- Moisture Wicking Ortholite lining.
- ABZORB cushioning.
- Mesh Uppers or insets for breathability.
- Lace-Up System or Bungee Lacing.
- Removable Insole.
- Rubber Outsole.
Reviews: Best Long Distance Walking Shoes
Here are a few great choices for Long Distance walking Shoes for both Trail and Road Walking;
Long Distance Walking Shoe
- 100% Suede leather uppers with mesh insets for breathability and cooling.
- The durable rubber outsole offers excellent grip on hard surfaces.
- Features the classic ABZORB cushioning technology in the midsole for the best shock absorbency and energy return.
- Walking strike path technology for better performance.
- A comfortable padded tongue and collar and cushioned insole.
Gel Cushioned Walking Shoe
- Durable and supple 100% pure leather uppers available in a black or white option.
- Lace-up closure for a snug and secure fit.
- The Ortholite sock-liner provides moisture management and comfort.
- A shock-absorbing SPEVA midsole along with rearfoot and forefoot GEL cushioning.
- Durable rubber outsole for good traction and a DUOMAX support system.
- Inside there is a double memory foam-lined collar.
Walking Shoe for Long Distance Walking
- Athletic Mesh uppers construction for a soft fit and superb breathability.
- Extremely lightweight, ideal for long-distance walking.
- A thick and supportive rubber outsole.
- Innovative and very responsive 5GEN midsole with soft cushioning.
- The uppers are seamless for less irritation with a soft moisture wicking fabric lining.
- Features the popular GOGA Max technology.
Long Distance Trail Walker
- Both these models feature tough and durable Trail specific Vibram outsoles with athletic hiker style uppers that have mesh inserts for breathability.
- The Siren Edge features an M-Select ECO Fit contoured footbed that provides organic odor control, with a shock-absorbing heel cushion.
- In The Siren Edge, you will also find a 4MM lug shock-absorbing air cushioning system and a Bellow’s tongue to keep dirt and debris out.
- In the Annex Trak, there is a Nylon shank for stability and an EVA midsole for cushioning and shock absorbency.
- Inside the Annex Trak, you will find a breathable lining and soft textile and Nubuck leather uppers.
Walking Shoe for Pronation
- Full-grain leather uppers with a comfortable and soft textile lining.
- A removable cushioned insole, to accommodate orthotics.
- HydroFlow Technology, enhancing midsole cushioning and shock absorbency.
- A full length MoGo midsole compound for stable cushioning.
- Dual-density posts at the medial arch for progressive pronation control and an Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar.
- Sturdy and durable rubber outsole for good traction.
Long Distance Lightweight Walking Shoe
- The Upper is very lightweight and breathable, offering a more flexible fit with a roomy toe box.
- There is an ACTEVA, and ABZORB shock-absorbing technology midsole and an NB, insert for cushioning.
- The shoe does come in width options as well as other color varieties.
- The sole is durable rubber with a lug tread for better traction.
Comfortable Long Distance Walking Shoes
- The upper consists of a breathable and lightweight mesh with a lace-up closure design.
- Inside are a Goga Mat Air-Cooled Cushioned insole and a 5Gen cushioning midsole.
- The durable rubber outsole ensures excellent traction and grip.
- There are also a few colors from which you can select as you like.
Long Distance Outdoor Walking Shoes
- The Engineered mesh uppers are breathable as well as abrasion-resistant.
- There are Water Shedding bands around the base to seal out mud and moisture, as well as a protective TPU toe.
- The removable foam insole offers excellent cushioning and the support of the BOOSt technology shock, absorbing midsole.
- A continental rubber outsole with all condition traction offers the best grip for outdoor surfaces.
Index Table: Top Rated Long Distance Walking Shoes
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||New Balance® - Long Distance Walking Shoe||877||877||New Balance||97.6|
|2||Asics® - Gel Cushioned Walking Shoe||Gel Foundation 13||Gel Foundation 13||Asics||96|
|3||Skechers Performance® - Walking Shoe for Long Distance Walking||Go Walk 4||Go walk 4||Skechers Performance||97|
|4||Merrell® - Long Distance Trail Walker||ANNEX Trak||Siren Edge||Merrell||97|
|5||Brooks® - Walking Shoe for Pronation||Addiction Walker||Addiction Walker||Brooks||98|
|6||New Balance® - Long Distance Lightweight Walking Shoe||680V6||680V6||New Balance||97.4|
|7||Skechers® - Comfortable Long Distance Walking Shoes||Go Walk Max||Go Walk 5 Lace Up||Skechers||96.7|
|8||Terrex® - Long Distance Outdoor Walking Shoes||Agravic Flow||Agravic Flow||Terrex|
Table of Contents
- Demands of Long Distance Walking
- Features of a Good Shoe for Long Distance Walking
- Some Excellent Features of a Long Distance Walking Shoe
- Reviews: Best Long Distance Walking Shoes
- Long Distance Walking Shoe
- Gel Cushioned Walking Shoe
- Walking Shoe for Long Distance Walking
- Long Distance Trail Walker
- Walking Shoe for Pronation
- Long Distance Lightweight Walking Shoe
- Comfortable Long Distance Walking Shoes
- Long Distance Outdoor Walking Shoes
- Index Table: Top Rated Long Distance Walking Shoes