Though pregnancy is one of the most important events in a woman’s life, it comes with its share of problems and challenges.
There are some physical changes that a woman will have to undergo during nine months preceding childbirth, one of these changes affecting your feet.
Why The Need for Pregnancy Shoes
Pregnancy can cause significant swelling in your feet and may lead to flat feet and heel pain.
- Swelling – During pregnancy particularly in the last few months, a women’s feet ankles and legs tend to swell up quite a bit, much so that normal shoes will not fit anymore. The hormonal changes in a women’s body cause the accumulation of fluids in the tissues, particularly that of the lower limbs, which then results in swelling. The Swelling can cause great discomfort, and therefore a shoe with a wide toe area or flexible uppers is recommended.
Fallen Arches – Because of the weight gain during pregnancy and the hormone relaxin that is released to loosen the joints, a women’s feet may also become flatter and more prominent than usual during and after pregnancy. You may, however, also end up with a low or flat arch post-pregnancy that will not return to normal.
Improper and Ill-Fitting Shoes – Shoes for pregnancy should be comfortable and supportive and big and wide enough to accommodate swollen feet, legs, and ankles. Ill-fitting and uncomfortable shoes during pregnancy can lead to problems with walking, injuries, and damage to the feet. A good pair of pregnancy shoes could reduce swelling and will keep you comfortable and stable on your feet.
Benefits of Wearing a Specific Pregnancy Shoes
there are so many health and comfort benefits to wearing Pregnancy Shoes;
- Swelling and Pain – A comfortable and proper fitting pregnancy shoe is designed to offer maximum comfort and support to accommodate and reduce swelling and prevent pain.
Prevents Injuries – A good pregnancy shoe will provide you with adequate support and protection to prevent injuries.
Breathable – The swelling and hormonal changes together can cause overheating, burning, and excessive sweating of the feet, a breathable design shoe with a lightweight and ventilated materials can help to reduce sweating, absorb moisture and to keep your feet cool.
Features of a Good Pregnancy Shoe
- Uppers – Comfortable uppers that are lightweight, breathable and flexible enough to accommodate swelling. A roomy toe box with extra depth design is highly recommended for swelling.
Comfort – Comfort features such as cushioning, particularly in the heel area, smooth moisture-wicking linings, and cooling elements, are ideal to have.
Support – Support and stability features to control motion and to prevent injuries, such as a heel clutching system and contoured footbed.
Shock Absorbency – A thick sole and cushioned foam or EVA midsole for shock absorbency and cushioning.
Outsole – Slip resistance and durability on the outsole is key, opt for rubber with a lug or patterned and slip-resistant tread.
Reviews: Best Pregnancy Shoes
Here are a few great choices that will make the best available shoes for pregnancy symptoms;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
Just so you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
The New Balance WW928 is a lightweight and comfortable walking shoe that has some great features to accommodate pregnancy symptoms.
- Soft, flexible leather uppers with a full mouth to accommodate swollen feet.
- Lightweight to wear-reducing strain on the feet and legs.
- Comfortable and wide dimensions as well as available in large sizes.
- The rubber sole is durable and offers excellent grip to prevent slipping.
- The uppers manufactured from high-quality synthetic and mesh materials that are flexible and breathable.
- A durable rubber outsole is flexible with GO impulse sensors for excellent grip and traction.
- The cushioned footbed ensures all-day comfort and support.
- The anti-microbial treated sock liner keeps your feet dry and fresh.
- A wider and more flexible fit to accommodate swollen feet.
Birkenstock offers a comfortable and lightweight pair of sandals; the Arizona model is perfect for swollen feet during pregnancy.
- Leather upper straps with adjustable buckles to provide relief for swollen feet.
- A cushioned footbed and shock-absorbing EVA midsole for comfort and support.
- A synthetic sole that offers a good grip.
- The anatomical cork shape footbed original to Birkenstock offers superior comfort and support.
- Wide dimensions and avilable in larger sizes.
The Clarks Leisa cacti is a feminine and stylish looking sandal that offers a comfortable and supportive footbed with a broader fit that is ideal for all pregnant women.
- The uppers are soft and supple full-grain leather.
- The outsole is made from durable synthetic materials and will give you a good grip on different surfaces.
- A wider fit will accommodate swollen feet.
- The footbed is covered with an Ortholite Sheet for better comfort and support.
- A quality fabric sock liner to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
The Aravon Katy is a comfortable sandal for women that will aid in providing relief from the symptoms of pregnancy.
- Easy on and off the hook and loop closures that also give an adjustable fit.
- The removable full-length ABZOrb cushioned insert provides comfort and support.
- Contact Antibacterial protection will keep the shoe free from odor and bacteria.
- Softly seamed linings are non-irritating to your feet.
- Comfortable and stylish.
For a great walking shoe even during the last stages of pregnancy, try the Vionic Orthaheel; it will provide you with great comfort, shock absorbency, and a wider flexible fit.
- The leather uppers are breathable and water-resistant.
- The removable insert is both comfortable and treated with an antibacterial treatment.
- The mesh lining and sock liner are breathable and soft on your feet.
- The technology and EVA midsole ensure good shock absorption and support.
- The rubber outsole is durable, flexible, and offers exceptional grip.
- Also one of the Best Shoes for Orthotics.
Stylish and elegant slip-on shoes, ideal for more formal occasions, with a wider and more flexible fit to accommodate swollen feet.
- A soft and cushioned removable footbed.
- Smooth and seam-free micro-suede inner lining, to prevent chafing and irritation.
- A firm heel counter for support and a padded tongue.
- Slip-on style with a high grip rubber outsole.
- Available in larger sizes and wider widths.
A breathable and lightweight, fully cushioned and supportive Ballet flat that looks great and feels comfortable.
- Soft and supple leather uppers with a ventilating design.
- A cushioned insole, for support and comfort.
- Durable high traction rubber outsole.
- Available in wider widths options and a few color variations.
Soft, comfortable, and easy to slip on without having to bend down, slippers from Dr. Comfort.
- Comes with a cushioned and shock absorbing Gel Insert.
- The extra depth design is perfect for swollen feet.
- Comes in wider width options and extended sizes.
- A Microfiber upper and fleece lining for comfort.
- Durable and gripping rubber outsole.
Birkenstock makes some of the most supportive and comfortable shoes available, and they are available in different width sizes to accommodate swollen feet.
These open style sandals are perfect for pregnancy in those hot summer days.
- Soft synthetic leather upper straps in a neutral beige color option.
- The footbed has a cushioning cork and EVA for comfort and shock absorbency.
- A lightweight EVA sole that is durable and shock absorbing.
- Pronounced arch support and a deep heel cup, for stability.
- Non-Slip outsole design.
The Asics Gel-DS 23 Trainer is the ideal all-day wear, training, or even walking shoe with comfort features, perfect for pregnant women.
- Soft and breathable uppers made with adaptable mesh that adapts to the shape and movement of your feet, which is ideal for feet that may swell.
- Inside is a moisture-wicking lining and aFlyefoam sole with Gel cushioning in the heel.
- The durable rubber outsole offers good grip and traction.
- This sneaker is available in many color selections to choose from.
- Available in a few neutral color selections to choose from.
- Soft and breathable woven mesh uppers that adapt to the shape of your feet and that are very lightweight.
- Ther is an Air Cooled Full length and removable Memory foam insole for comfort.
- The midsole offers excellent cushioning and shock absorbency.
- The durable rubber outsole ensures high traction and a good grip.
Need something cool for those very hot days during pregnancy. My absolute favorite is the FitFlop Iqushion with its superb heel cushioning and arch support technology in a comfortable and lightweight Flip Flop.
- The durable rubber sole offers excellent slip resistance.
- The uppers webbing is also made from rubber and is very comfortable.
- An Airy Foam sole that has impact pillows in the heel and forefoot.
- Biomechanically shaped with excellent arch support.
- The anatomically shaped footbed hugs and shapes to the shape of your feet.
- Available in many fun and colourful color options.
It is crucial to find a shoe that fits comfortably and has adequate room to accommodate swollen feet during pregnancy.
Make sure that your shoe is cushioned and supportive of reducing the impact on your feet when walking or standing.
You cannot go wrong with any of the listed choices they will all aid in reducing swelling and minimizing strain on your feet and ankles.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Pregnancy
Table of Contents
- Why The Need for Pregnancy Shoes
- Benefits of Wearing a Specific Pregnancy Shoes
- Features of a Good Pregnancy Shoe
- Reviews: Best Pregnancy Shoes
- New Balance® Women's WW928V3 Healthy Pregnancy Walking Shoe
- Skechers® Women's Performance Go Walk Pregnancy Walking Shoe
- Birkenstock® Women's Arizona Sandals for Pregnant Women
- Clarks® Women's Leisa Cacti Open Toe Pregnancy Sandal
- Aravon® Women's Katy Shoes for Pregnant Women
- Vionic Orthaheel® Women's Walker Walking Shoes for Pregnant Women
- Dr. Comfort® Women's Loafers Leather Slipp on Pregnancy Shoes
- Clarks® Women's Danelly Pregnacy Ballet Flats
- Dr. Comfort® Women's Cozy Pregnancy Slippers
- Birkenstock® Women's Mayari Sandal for Pregnant Women
- Asics® Women's DS Trainer 24 Pregnancy Training Shoe
- Skechers® Women's Seager Dress Shoes for Pregnant Women
- FitFlop® Women's Iqushion Pregnancy Flip Flop
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Pregnancy