One of the most common foot problems today is heel pain.
The sufferer will feel pain either under the heel, which refers to plantar fasciitis or just behind the heel, known as Achilles Tendinitis, where the Achilles’ tendon connects the bone.
Heel pain can be quite severe and disabling, but it is very rarely a health threat and usually disappears on its own, although there have been cases of chronic heel pain.
The Main Causes of Heel Pain
Common causes of heel pain include:
- Plantar Fasciitis occurs when the Plantar Fascia, which is a ligament that runs from the heel to the tip of the foot, becomes stretched too far and gets inflamed, causing pain under the foot and in the heel area.
- Heel Bursitis occurs when there is inflammation at the back of the heel called the Bursa, which is a sac full of fluid that causes pain deep inside the heel or at the back of the heel. Heel Bursitis can because by pressure from footwear or landing hard or awkwardly on your heels.
- Heel Bumps is more common in teenagers where the heel bone that is not yet fully developed rubs excessively, causing an excess bone to be formed. This is usually caused by younger females starting to wear high heels and is also a symptom of flat feet.
- Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome occurs when a large nerve in the back of the foot becomes usually pinched, a symptom of a condition called Neuropathy that can arise in the ankle or foot.
- Chronic Inflammation of the heel pad from heavy footsteps can also cause heel pain.
- Stress fractures caused by repetitive stress on the heel from strenuous exercises or sports, as well as resulting from osteoporosis, can cause chronic heel pain.
- Certain more severe diseases and medical conditions can also lead to heel pain amongst other symptoms.
Treatment and Prevention of Heel Pain
With a less severe case, there are a few tips you can follow to alleviate heel pain;
- Resting after walking or standing for long periods of time.
- Avoiding activities that place stress on the heels.
- Avoid walking on hard surfaces.
- Make sure that your footwear fits properly and provides adequate support and cushioning
Features of a Good Shoe for Heel Pain
The type of footwear that you choose to alleviate heel pain will also depend on your arch type. Here are a few tips for selecting footwear for heel pain;
- Arch support – Good arch support for your specific arch type is key to keep your feet in the right alignment and protect you from excessive pronation, which may also lead to heel pain.
- Heel Cushioning – Heel support or a deep heel cup.
- Low and solid Heel – A low and thick heel or flatform style sole is advisable; stay clear of narrow high heels and flat heels at all costs.
- Cushioned Footbed – The insole or footbed should offer ample cushioning for shock absorbency and comfort.
- Shock Absorbency – EVA or foam in the midsole and a solid rubber heel or sole offers excellent shock absorbency.
- Outsole – The outsole needs to be durable and slip-resistant made from rubber or synthetic materials.
Reviews: The Top Shoes for Heel Pain
Here are a few top choices in different styles of shoes that will help to prevent and alleviate heel pain;
Athletic Shoe for Heel Pain
- The improved guidance line technology aids in embracing the motion of the gait cycle.
- FluidRide technology for an advanced bounce back and cushioning.
- The and forefoot gel cushioning attenuates shock and allows for movement on multiple planes throughout the gait cycle.
- The Asics FluidFit upper technology with multi-directional stretch mesh and stretch reinforcements adapt to your foot for a customized fit.
- The heel clutching system and exoskeletal heel counter give improved support and a better heel fitting environment.
- Seamless construction that is non-abrasive and not irritating to the feet.
- A durable rubber outsole for excellent grip and traction on multiple surfaces.
- Available in a range of colorful designs.
Plantar Fasciitis Chelsea Boot
- A side zip bootie for easy on and off.
- Durable and comfortable leather uppers for all-day wear.
- A unique shock-absorbing footbed minimizes foot pain and foot fatigue by returning energy to the feet and reducing strain on the feet.
- Appropriate for extended hours of walking or standing.
- A fantastic combination of style and comfort.
- Available in different colors for every preference.
Thong Sandal for Heel Pain
- A triple-density midsole fusing three diagonal sections of multi-density EVA into a seamless underfoot platform that absorbs shock diffuses underfoot pressure and keeps your feet comfortable.
- Softly padded microfiber-lined suede uppers smothered with glittering Diamante decorations for a fashionable look and comfortable wear.
- Dress up or dress down in these versatile and gorgeous sandals.
- A durable outsole that will keep you firmly on the ground.
- Available in a variety of trendy colors and designs.
Walking and Running Shoe for Plantar Fasciitis Heel Pain
- Synthetic and mesh uppers for improved breathability.
- A dual-density foam collar for a comfortable fit.
- The Rollbar and lateral and medial rearfoot stability technology will keep you well supported and prevent injuries.
- A no-sew material application for an irritation-free, comfortable fit.
- The heel to toe drop improves natural movement.
- Available in a variety of colors.
Silky Suede Pump
- The uppers are manufactured from soft stretch material and patent leather for a flexible and accommodative fit.
- A breathable leather lining keeps your feet dry and fresh.
- Split leather and rubber durable and flexible outsole.
- The memory foam midsole provides comfort and absorbs shock.
- The enhanced arch support will reduce heel pain and the symptoms of Plantar fasciitis.
- Available in black, leopard print, brown, and ruby colors.
Mary Jane Shoe for Heel Pain
- Fabric uppers with a lightweight and breathable design, as well as a secure fit closure.
- The removable footbed ensures excellent cushioned comfort.
- The thick rubber outsole is shock absorbing and flexible.
Active Sneaker for Heel Pain
- Bio-Mechanical design that hugs and supports your arches for all day comfort.
- The rubber outsole offers excellent shock absorbency and slips resistance.
- A removable textile covered EVA foot bed for cushioned dry comfort.
- Textile uppers are lightweight and breathable.
Heel Pain Chelsea Boot
- Genuine leather uppers with a
- The pigskin lining in the interior is soft and gentle against the skin.
- A PU sock liner and footbed offers cushioned support.
- The thick rubber outsole ensures good slip resistance, and the slight heel prevent heel pain.
- A few color options are available in this boot.
Heel pain walking Shoe
- A comfortable and cushioned removable footbed.
- The thick rubber outsole is highly slip-resistant.
- Genuine leather uppers that are comfortable and breathable.
- A unique easily washable design.
- Many color options available.
- The men’s model is a slip-on version and not a lace-up shoe.
Heel Pain relief Sandal
- A podiatrist-designed footbed that promotes stability and cushioned comfort and support.
- The platform-style heel has supportive and shock-absorbing rubber and cork.
- Faux-leather uppers and an EVA footbed.
- Available in a few color options to choose from.
- The Vionic Boyes features Orthaheel Cushioning technology and adjustable front and back straps for the men.
Cross Trainers for Heel Pain
- Seamless and smooth uppers with a moisture-wicking lining and synthetic design.
- Durable and high traction running and walking outsole.
- Rearfoot Gel cushioning that absorbs shock.
- A SPEVA bounce back, lightweight cushioned midsole.
- Comfortable cushioned insole and fit.
Slip On Heel Pain Shoe
- Soft and breathable mesh uppers with synthetic overlays for structural stability.
- A breathable and moisture-wicking mesh inner lining.
- Air-cushioned footbed design to absorb shock.
- Nylon arch shank for support.
Heel Pain Shoes
- Synthetic leather and mesh uppers construction.
- Rearfoot Gel cushioning,, for heel support and shock absorbency.
- An AMPLIFOAM midsole and Ortholite moisture-controlling cushioned insole.
- Guidance Line midsole technology for better gait efficiency.
Index Table: Best Shoes for Heel Pain
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Athletic Shoe for Heel Pain||Gel Nimbus 22||Gel Nimbus 22||Asics||97|
|2||Clarks® - Plantar Fasciitis Chelsea Boot||Bushacre||Rocklin||Clarks||94|
|3||FitFlop® - Thong Sandal for Heel Pain||Trakk||Flare||FitFlop||96|
|4||New Balance® - Walking and Running Shoe for Plantar Fasciitis Heel Pain||M1540V3||W1540V3||New Balance||96|
|5||dockers® - Silky Suede Pump||edson||Tamara||dockers||95|
|6||Propet® - Mary Jane Shoe for Heel Pain||Stability walker||Travelactiv||Propet||96|
|7||Vionic® - Active Sneaker for Heel Pain||Black Walker||Sky Storm||Vionic||96|
|8||Clarks® - Heel Pain Chelsea Boot||Paulson||De La Vina Dos||Clarks||97|
|9||Propet® - Heel pain walking Shoe||Washable Walker||Washable Walker||Propet||97|
|10||Vionic® - Heel Pain relief Sandal||Boyes||Pacific Rio||Vionic||97|
|11||Asics® - Cross Trainers for Heel Pain||Defiance X||Defiance X||Asics||97|
|12||Merrell® - Slip On Heel Pain Shoe||Encore Bypass||Encore Q2||Merrell||97|
|13||Asics® - Heel Pain Shoes||Gel Pulse 12||Gel Pulse 12||Asics||98|
No matter what the cause, heel pain should be a worry of the past with our selection of supportive and comfortable shoes for every occasion and function.
With the right support and cushioning, you should no longer feel any pain associated with your heels.
There is a variety of shoes available, from casual to dress, to alleviate heel and Plantar Fasciitis symptoms. The right arch support will also make a difference in your heels and feet’ health and well-being.
Table of Contents
- The Main Causes of Heel Pain
- Treatment and Prevention of Heel Pain
- Features of a Good Shoe for Heel Pain
- Reviews: The Top Shoes for Heel Pain
- Athletic Shoe for Heel Pain
- Plantar Fasciitis Chelsea Boot
- Thong Sandal for Heel Pain
- Walking and Running Shoe for Plantar Fasciitis Heel Pain
- Silky Suede Pump
- Mary Jane Shoe for Heel Pain
- Active Sneaker for Heel Pain
- Heel Pain Chelsea Boot
- Heel pain walking Shoe
- Heel Pain relief Sandal
- Cross Trainers for Heel Pain
- Slip On Heel Pain Shoe
- Heel Pain Shoes
- Index Table: Best Shoes for Heel Pain