People who suffer from chronic foot conditions, deformities, or walking or standing issues will most likely need some foot orthotics.
Orthotic inserts easily insert and fit most shoes, although other orthotic devices require a more specialized or customized shoe type.
There are, however, the best shoes for orthotics that have an accommodating fit or removable layers so that you can use your own orthotic devices.
The Purpose of Orthotics
- Control the movement of the foot in a particular direction – For individuals who have pronation issues such as Overpronation, an orthotic device can provide good stability and help to control motion in a certain direction, as well as provide stability for those who lack balance.
- Help guide the foot’s movement in general – By guiding the feet in a correct motion, it also helps with excessive pronation and improves posture and general foot mechanics.
- Reduce the forces that bear weight for a specific reason – When you have issues such as corns and calluses, heel pain, or arthritis, an insole that reduces pressure and weight on these painful areas can come in quite handy.
- Help recovery from fractures after removing plaster – Because of the shock absorbency and cushioning support most insoles and orthotics provide, they can help with post-recovery and post-injury healing.
- Correct the functioning or shape of the foot by reducing pain or improving capability. Some orthoptics are designed to have corrective capabilities to correct the shape of your feet or a specific motion issue.
Shoes for Orthotics
Shoes for Orthotics are basically shoes that can accommodate an orthotic device such as an insole, insert, or brace. However, you may need more specialized orthotic accommodating shoes for things as bulky as braces.
There are plenty of shoe models that accommodate an orthotic device, even braces. They do this to have the extra depth or a removable cushioning layer to create more depth as needed to add an orthotic device.
Orthotic-friendly shoes are usually also available in wider widths and generally have a wider fit and a more roomy toe box to accommodate orthotics.
Features in a Shoe that Accommodates Orthotics
- Uppers – The Upper are usually more flexible and may have an adjustable fit. There will also be much more toe room and wider width options available.
- Insole and Midsole – There may be cushioned insoles and midsole layers with EVA and other forms of foam cushioning. In Orthotic accommodating shoes, many of these players or the insoles are removable so that you can use your own insole or orthotic device.
- Fit – The fit of Orthotic shoes will be more roomy and relaxed with a roomy toe box and, in some models, extra depth.
- Outsole – Look for an outsole that provides more solid stability and balance, with a durable rubber for grip and traction.
Reviews: Top Shoes for Orthotics
We have researched and picked out the best available shoes that accommodate most types of orthotics;
The Drew Shoe Rose is a beautiful Mary Jane that can be worn as a dress shoe along with an orthotic device.
- Soft and supple leather uppers.
- A durable synthetic outsole that offers a good grip and is slip-resistant.
- Light padding and breathable construction for a comfortable and lightweight shoe.
- A stylish and fashionable Mary Jane style dress shoe for any occasion.
- The double depth allows for the use of orthotics.
- A soft and supportive midsole.
The Cobb Hill Aria-CH is a soft and flexible shoe that has a perfect design for orthotics.
- Soft and flexible leather uppers.
- A stable and durable synthetic outsole with a 1.5-inch heel.
- A four-inch shaft to give warmth and protection.
- The lace-up closure allows you to insert orthotics and select a customized fit.
- A supportive and durable footbed.
Skechers are good quality and popular sports shoes that will give you a comfortable and flexible, fit allowing for orthotic devices.
- Breathable and lightweight synthetic uppers.
- A durable, flexible, and lightweight outsole that accommodates orthotic inserts.
- Easy to slip on and off shoes.
- A soft and comfortable memory foam footbed for all-day support.
- A trendy-looking sneaker that is comfortable enough for everyday wear.
Merrel offers you a fancy dress boot, the Shiloh, that allows you to use customized orthotics.
- Breathable mesh lining and leather uppers.
- A luxurious Remember Me Foam footbed for added comfort.
- The removable insole allows you to use your own orthotics.
- A 10-inch opening to easily insert orthotics.
- The 1.75-inch heel ensures better stability and shock absorption.
The adjustable velcro straps on the Wolky Jewel Sandals make them perfect for wearing with orthotics.
- A leather upper with straps for an adjustable and orthotic-friendly fit.
- A lightweight and durable rubber outsole that offers excellent grip.
- A contoured and padded footbed that absorbs shock and ensures all-day comfort and support.
- This shoe becomes more flexible and increases in size with time, which is a great advantage for orthotics.
You cannot go wrong with the orthotic accomodating Drew Shoe Dora, a comfortable and stylish-looking sandal for everyday wear.
- Comfortable leather uppers.
- The removable cork footbed with memory foam is comfortable and supportive and allows you to use your own orthotics.
- The adjustable velcro straps allow for a customized fit that accommodates orthotics.
- A shock-absorbing and durable EVA outsole.
- The removable footbed gives you double depth inside the shoe that can easily adjust to any orthotic device.
The Arch Crafters’ full-length insole will aid in relieving foot pain and absorbing shock as well as allowing for more natural movement.
- Manufactured from dual-density EVA for shock absorbency, durability, and flexibility.
- A leather-like sock liner ensuring a more comfortable fit.
- A perfect fit for any custom orthotics.
- Crafted to relieve heel pain, control abnormal movement, and reduce stress and strain on your lower back and knees.
- It comes with a foam casting box that goes up to a size 17.
The Vionic Othaheel Action Walker is a flexible shoe with a removable insole to accommodate orthotics.
- A casual sporty sneaker for everyday wear.
- Soft and breathable leather uppers with a mesh lining for breathability and a comfortable sock liner.
- The footbed offers exceptional arch support and has an added heel cup to stabilize your feet.
- The soft cushioned EVA midsole ensures all-day comfort and support addition. The durable rubber outsole is flexible and ensures a good grip.
- An antibacterial treated removable orthotic insole.
- Water-resistant leather uppers with a casual sporty sneaker style.
- This is a walking shoe that is also the Best Shoe for Pregnancy.
The Dr. Comfort Paradise is an orthopedic Sneaker style shoe with an adjustable Velcro closure and removable insole design to accommodate the use of your own orthotic devices.
- Smooth and soft, seamless, and non–binding, leather uppers with an adjustable fit Velcro closure.
- Removable cushioned insole and extra depth design, allowing you to use your own orthotics.
- It is manufactured to stringent medical grade specifications to accommodate foot and health conditions.
- A non–skid, high traction rubber outsole.
A highly supportive and comfortable athletic shoe with a removable sockliner option enables you to use your own orthotic devices.
- Synthetic breathable and lightweight uppers.
- A rearfoot GEL cushioning system that attenuates shock.
- Removable Sockliner to accommodate medical orthotics.
- AHAR outsole for high traction and abrasion resistance.
- Trail Specific outsole for outdoor walking and running.
Anyone of these shoes will accommodate orthotics perfectly and comfortably.
The added insoles provide comfort and pain relief and give you a more natural motion of the movement, making them a great orthotic device.
Index Table: Best Shoes for Orthotics
Table of Contents
- The Purpose of Orthotics
- Shoes for Orthotics
- Features in a Shoe that Accommodates Orthotics
- Reviews: Top Shoes for Orthotics
- Drew® Women's Rose Mary Jane Dress Shoe for Orthotics
- Cobb Hill® Women's Aria-CH Shoes for Orthotics
- Skechers® Women's Sport Good Life Fashion Orthotic Friendly Sneakers
- Merrell® Women's Shiloh Pull on Boot that Accommodates Orthotics
- Wolky® Women's Jewel Orthotic Friendly sandals
- Drew® Women's Dora Comfortable sandals for Orthotics
- Arch Crafters® Women's Full Length Orthotic Insoles
- Vionic Orthaheel® Women's Walker Walking Shoes for Orthotics
- Dr. Comfort® Women's Paradise Extra Depth Shoes for Orthotics
- Asics® Women's Gel Venture 7 Orthotic Accommodating Athletic Shoe
- Index Table: Best Shoes for Orthotics